Monday, August 8, 2011

definition of summer: camping

A few weeks ago, I was in need of an adventure. I needed to rid myself of technology.
I needed to get out from the midst of the concrete jungle that is {insert any place surrounded by concrete here}. I had been talking to Erik for a while about how much I wanted (no, needed) to go camping. I didn't care if we went with a group of friends, or if it was just the two of us. It didn't matter. I just had this urge to get "out". Of course, work and commitments seemed to occupy every weekend we wanted to go.

Until one Friday morning. I'm standing in the kitchen in my sundress, with matching accessories, and curled hair. Clearly ready for the day ahead. Until Erik asked a question, with which the correct answer would require a wardrobe change. "Are you going to work today?" - "Umm, I was planning on it" (hence my dress and curled hair) - "Are you going to work the whole day?" - "I don't have to ... why?" (I had previously worked a ton of extra hours, and my boss had graciously given me the command to take some time off ... all week, when he walked in to see me at my desk, he asked, "what are you doing here???" to which, I responded, "well, I don't know what else to do!")

Erik then responded: "Let's go camping."

"OK!"

I then ran to work, stayed for approximately one hour, told my co-workers and boss I was leaving a little early (ha, only 7 hours early), and then I ran home (well, I didn't actually run, I drove, to be more specific). Changed from my pretty pink dress into shorts and a t-shirt (representing the ol' alma mater, of course), and helped my spontaneous hub move nearly the entire contents of our refrigerator into the cooler. Less than an hour and a half later, we were on the road. The road to an unknown place (really, we had no idea where we were going). It was beautiful.

We didn't drive too far, as we had to be back on Sunday afternoon for a memorial service. But we drove. Up. Into the tree tops. And then up some more. We drove in circles trying to find the perfect spot. We aren't the kind of people who pay money to sit 20 ft away from some guy's lawn chair. (not that there's anything wrong with that kind of camping ... I mean, hello childhood camping days).

Surrounded by trees, we 4-wheeled our way into a cove. The river wrapped around us. We reveled in the roar of the water. We gazed at the glittering sky above us. We reconnected. With each other, and with our maker.

Our pup was in heaven. We were at peace. I can't thank my sweet man enough for whisking me away to a mountain top far away from normal life. We both needed it and were so glad we took the opportunity of an un-scheduled weekend. Erik showed off his wood carving skills. I read a book (that's pretty rare if you know me at all). We blazed the river decorated with rocks - they served as perfect stepping {jumping} stones for our early morning adventure.

To say the least, our spontaneity served us well.

No comments: