Friday, March 2, 2012

oatmeal

I know it’s healthy for you, but I just can’t do it.  It’s been served to me many different ways … and still.  it tastes the same.  like a course scoop of bland dirt.  ok, maybe it’s not that bad, but you get the point.

neither of my parents like oatmeal … but that didn’t stop them from trying to make us like it.  {I guess I respect them for that}.  and it worked with their other two kids.  the eldest loves the steal cut kind.  the youngest devours plain old unsweetened bowls of the quaker kind by the barrels. 

and me?  well, I’ve heard people say that the middle child tends to be the greatest blend of both parentals {did I make that up?  or have I really heard it somewhere?} … and given that both parentals in this given situation don’t like oatmeal, what was I, as the middle child, left to do?  not like oatmeal as well.

I was just abiding by the rules of middle-childhood.  give me some credit.

although … when in a pinch {or when the morning escapes me}, I can and will serve myself a bowl of horse food oatmeal.  and this is how I eat it:

IMG_2116

the pre-made, already sugared, kind.  apples and cinnamon.  that’s pretty much the only way I can gulp it down.

I don’t do the brown sugar.  or the fruit.  or the milk.  or the peanut butter {yes, that’s exactly how my husband does it … bleh}

and while I do appreciate the benefits to both your health and wallet that accompany oatmeal, I wish I liked it.  maybe, it’s an acquired taste.  maybe it will grow on me with age …

or maybe, I can just keep putting it in my smoothies so as to receive the health perks without having to taste it.  {this idea sounds like the winner}

however, I may have found a recipe that could turn me into an oatmeal lover.  it sounds incredible {except for the fact that oatmeal is the primary ingredient … but I might be able to get past it …}  and it’s uber healthy too.  I can’t recommend it yet, nor can I say it has turned me into an official oatmeal fanatic.  all because I haven’t tried it.  but here’s hoping this sweet {sounding} breakfast will provide me with a new outlet for morning nutrition:

Blueberry Oatmeal Cobbler

oatml

Blueberry Cobbler Oatmeal
(Serves 2)

Oatmeal

  • ¾ cup steel cut oatmeal (or 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats)
  • 2½ cups water
  • ½ cup soy milk

Blueberry Sauce

  • ¾ cup blueberries
  • 1 tbsp agave nectar
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • ¼ cup water
  • 1 tsp lemon juice

Crumble

  • 15g almonds
  • 1 tbsp old fashion oats

“Custard

  • ¼ cup protein powder vanilla
  • 2 tbsp plain yogurt

INSTRUCTIONS

  • In a small saucepan, bring water to the boil, add salt and oatmeal, lower heat, cover and cook for about 12-15 minutes, stirring often, until all liquid is absorbed and oatmeal is nice and creamy.
  • Meanwhile, in a seperate saucepan, cook blueberries, water, lemon juice, chia seeds and agave nectar over low heat, stirring occasionally, until blueberries start to “explode” and sauce thickens. You might want to swoosh the blueberries a little bit with your spoon to help break them up. Set aside when ready.
  • In a small non-stick pan, over medium heat, toast the sliced almonds and old fashion oats until golden and fragrant. Set aside.
  • In small mixing bowl, mix protein powder with plain yogurt until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
  • When all your components are ready, transfer to serving bowls, starting with oatmeal, then blueberry sauce, followed by custard and finally the crumble.

No comments: